Adding an Index Server Entity to Your CommCell Environment
The Index Server is a logical CommCell entity that uses Index Store clients to support different Commvault products and features.
Before You Begin
Gather the following information that you need to perform the procedure:
- Index Store client: When adding an Index Server, you must add a client that has the Index Store package installed as a node on the Index Server entity. An Index Store client can only be added to one Index Server.
- Index directory: When adding an Index Server, you must enter a path to a directory on the Index Store client to store the indexing data for the configured Index Server roles. Before you add and configure the Index Server, ensure that the path exists on the Index Store client and meets the following requirements:
- The location must be a local, non-root directory.
- The location must be empty.
- The path name must not contain any of the following characters:
For additional information about the index directory requirements, see System Requirements - Index Store Package.
- Index Server roles: When configuring an Index Server, you must select one or more roles to support the product or feature you want to use. For more information, see Index Server Roles and Feature Support.
- Storage policy (Optional): To back up the indexing data on the Index Server, you must select a storage policy to use for backup operations.
Note: Index Server backups and restores are only supported for Index Servers configured for the Exchange Mailbox Agent. For more information, see Back Up and Restore the Exchange Mailbox Agent Index Server.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computer Groups, right-click the Index Servers smart group, and then click New Index Server.
The Index Server Cloud dialog box appears.
- In the General tab, enter the following information:
- Cloud Name: The name of the Index Server as it should appear in the CommCell Console.
- Storage Policy (Optional): If you want to back up the indexing data, click the Storage Policy list and select the storage policy that you want to use.
- Index Directory: The full path on the Index Store client where you want to store the indexing data. For example: C:\indexServerDir.
Note: The index directory path must exist on the Index Store client that you plan to add as a node in the Nodes tab on this Index Server entity.
- Click the Roles tab, and then click Add.
The Select Index Server Role dialog box appears.
- In the Exclude list, select one or more roles that you want to configure on the Index Server, and then click Include.
The selected roles appear in the Include list.
- Click OK.
- In the Index Server Cloud dialog box, click the Nodes tab, and then click Add.
The Select Cloud Nodes dialog box appears. To appear in the Exclude list, the client computer must have the Index Store package installed and cannot be a part of an existing Index Server.
- In the Exclude list, select a client, and then click Include.
The client appears in the Include list.
- Click OK.
- In the Index Server Cloud dialog box, click OK.
The new Index Server cloud name appears under the Index Server computer group node in the CommCell Browser. To view the Index Server in the CommCell Browser under Client Computers, right-click Client Computers, click Customize View > Show Index Servers.
Last modified: 11/9/2018 9:42:15 PM