Accelerating Backups to Cloud Storage Libraries
When you configure the client computers to back up the data to a cloud storage library, the software routes the data through the MediaAgent. Thus, the client computer sends the data to the MediaAgent first, and then the MediaAgent sends the data to the cloud storage library. To speed up the backup process, you can configure the client to use the storage accelerator that sends the data to the configured cloud storage library directly. The storage accelerator may be useful for roaming laptop clients.
Note: If you perform CommCell Migration to migrate a backup set or a subclient that was backed up to a cloud library using the Storage Accelerator, then you must manually select a MediaAgent on the destination CommCell to restore the data. The MediaAgent that you select must have access to the cloud library. For instructions, see Browsing and Restoring Using MediaAgent.
Before You Begin
- Install the Storage Accelerator using the installation package. For instructions, see Installing the Storage Accelerator Package.
- During the installation, from the Select Packages dialog box, click Tools and then select Storage Accelerator.
- Storage Accelerator package is available for clients with Windows and Linux file system agents.
- For clients with other operating systems, install the entire MediaAgent software on the client. For a list of supported operating system versions, see MediaAgent - System Requirements.
- Storage Accelerator is not supported on clustered environments.
- Configure a cloud library using an appropriate MediaAgent as described in Creating a Cloud Library.
- Create a Storage Policy using the MediaAgent /cloud library as the data path in the storage library.
See Storage Policy - Getting Started for more information.
- Associate the Storage Policy with the subclient used to backup data from the client.
- Run a backup from the subclient.
The software sends the backup data directly to the cloud storage library. The name of the client appears as the MediaAgent in the Streams tab of the Job Details dialog box of the running backup job.
For instructions about viewing the job details of a running backup job, see View Job Details.
For information about the Streams tab, see Backup/Information Management Job Details (Streams).
Last modified: 3/27/2020 8:57:46 PM