Converting to Oracle Cloud Classic
When restoring a VMware virtual machine from backup, you can choose to restore the VM as an Oracle Cloud Classic instance.
You can use this feature to migrate virtual machines to Oracle Cloud Classic.
You can perform conversions from streaming backups or IntelliSnap backup copies. Conversion is not supported from IntelliSnap snap copies.
Before You Begin
- The source VM must reside on an ESXi host 6.0 or later.
- Make the following changes before backing up source VMs that are to be converted:
For Linux source VMs:
- Remove all MAC addresses in Ethernet configuration files so that DHCP can be enabled.
- Enable DHCP on boot.
- Enable console logging.
- Update the kernel version to one of the following:
- Oracle Linux 6.7
- Other Linux OS using Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK) Release 3 or Red Hat Compatible Kernel (RHCK)
For Windows source VMs:
- Enable Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connection for the VM.
- In environments that include a firewall, open a port for RDP connections.
- Install Oracle VM Paravirtual (PV) drivers.
- Configure a hypervisor for Oracle Cloud Classic.
- The proxy for the conversion must be an instance running in Oracle Cloud Classic.
- For information about the restore options for the Oracle Cloud Classic destination, see Options for Conversion to Oracle Cloud Classic.
- From the navigation pane, go to Protect > Virtualization.
The Hypervisors tab appears.
- Click the hypervisor.
The hypervisor page appears. The VM groups area displays summary information for any existing VM groups.
- In the VM groups area, click Restore for the VM group that contains the virtual machine.
- In the Select restore type page, select Full virtual machine to restore one or more full virtual machines.
- In the Restore page, expand the tree on the left and select the objects to be restored on the right. Select an item or click on an entry in the Name column to browse within an item.
In the top right corner of the page, a "Showing" message indicates what backup data is being displayed. You can click the down arrow beside this message and select any of the following options:
- Show latest backups: Only display data for the most recent backups.
- Show backups as of a specific date: Only display data up to the date you specify.
- Show backups for a date range: Only display data within the data range you specify.
- Enter the restore options for the Oracle Cloud Classic instance.
- Click Submit to run the restore job.
Last modified: 1/8/2020 3:16:04 PM