Configure a Floating Host Name for the CommServe or MediaAgent Software
A floating host name is a virtual host name that you use to install your CommServe or MediaAgent software. All the clients and MediaAgents communicate with the CommServe host using the floating host name.
Using a floating host name provides the following benefits:
- Eliminates the need to redirect all clients and MediaAgents after moving the CommServe to a new host.
- Minimizes the downtime for failover operations.
A floating host name is useful in the following scenarios:
- Upgrading the hardware of your CommServe or MediaAgent
- Setting up a standby CommServe host for disaster recovery failover
- Separating the CommServe component from a CommServe-MediaAgent host
There are multiple ways to define a floating host name. For example, you can update the host file on the computer or use custom scripts to update the DNS server.
Last modified: 4/15/2019 7:02:57 PM