Advantages of IntelliSnap for Virtual Machine Protection
IntelliSnap offers significant advantages for protecting critical virtual machines (VMs):
- Point-in-time snapshots are taken in a fraction of the time needed for traditional streaming backups, using VMware software snapshots to create hardware snapshots on storage arrays.
- Because the time applications need to be quiesced for backups is minimized for snapshots, the time needed to reconcile the production VM with transactions that occur during the backup is also minimized.
- Snapshots can be taken as often as necessary, providing multiple daily recovery points for high-transaction VMs.
- Critical virtual machines can be recovered and restored to service quickly.
- Full VMs or files and folders can be restored from snapshots or backup copies.
- Snapshots can be backed up to disk by a proxy (backup copy), limiting the impact of backups on production VM resources.
- Based on policies, snapshots are automatically catalogued and indexed for restores and Backup Copy.
For incremental backups, only changes are written to backup media.
- For less critical VMs, use traditional streaming backups with the VMware vStorage API for Data Protection (VADP), to provide daily backup and recovery with reduced storage requirements.
- For special cases, use application or file system agents in guest VMs to manage backups. This approach is useful when storage is presented directly to virtual machines, such as raw device mappings (RDMs), direct iSCSI, or network file system (NFS); large databases or large numbers of files; and applications that are not snapshot compatible.
Last modified: 7/5/2018 9:25:09 PM