Excluding Unprotected Virtual Machines in the Default Subclient Content
By default, the default subclient content includes a back slash ('\') entry in the CommCell Console that represents all unprotected VMs. The '\' entry indicates that the default subclient will backup virtual machines that are not backed up by other subclients in the virtual server instance.
You can modify the content of the default subclient to exclude the unprotected VMs from the backup operation.
- We recommend that your retain the '\' entry in at least one default subclient to serve as a catch-all entity for virtual machine data. If you remove this entry for all default subclients, some data in the virtual server instance may not get backed up.
- Backup jobs for the default subclient complete successfully if no virtual machines are discovered for the default subclient. To change this behavior, configure the AllowEmptyDefaultSubclient additional setting on the Virtual Server Agent proxy and set the value to false.
- To enable backup jobs for non-default subclients to complete successfully when no virtual machines are discovered for non-default subclients, configure the AllowEmptySubclient additional setting on the Virtual Server Agent proxy and set the value to true.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > instance > DefaultBackupSet.
- Right-click the default subclient and then click Properties.
- In the Subclient Properties dialog box, click the Content tab.
- Click Add or Browse and select the VMs to be backed up by the default subclient.
The default coverage for virtual machines not backed up by other subclients is removed.
- Optional: From the Storage Policy list, select a storage policy .
If necessary, click Create Storage Policy to create a new storage policy for the subclient.
- Click OK.
Last modified: 9/23/2019 8:21:21 PM