Backup Troubleshooting - NDMP Agent
The following section provides information on troubleshooting backups.
NAS-attached libraries are shared across a SAN
During configuration, all of the drive devices must have a value for their serial number.
If the automatic configuration does not populate a serial number for a drive, you must manually enter a serial number value. Each instance of a drive must have the same serial number.
Filtering data that consistently fails
Some mailboxes or folders appear in the Items That Failed list when you run the Job History Report. This indicates that the mailboxes or folders are locked by the operating system or by another application and cannot be opened during the data protection operation.
Filter the mailboxes or folders that consistently appear in the Items That Failed list in the Job History Report and exclude those mailboxes or folders from future backup operations to avoid backup failure.
Completed with one or more errors
Backup jobs from NDMP agent will be displayed as "Completed w/ one or more errors" in the Job History in the following cases:
- Backup context no longer exists on the file server. Backup cannot be restarted.
- Failing restarted backup of path [^1%s]. Failed to get context list from the file server.
- Data Loss detected. The number of tape blocks written as reported by NDMP tape server does not match the reported value for the actual tape drive.
- Failed to update the reference time. Failing path.
- Error committing chunks with the Job Manager. Failing path.
- Failing restarted backup of path. The restart string does not match the data backed up.
- Failing restarted backup of path. Unable to parse the restart string. If this error persists, please kill the backup and start a new one.
- Exceeded maximum number of incremental backups. Must run full or differential backup.
- EMC Celerra backup failed: probably an incorrect data backup path in subclient content.
- Error writing chunk trailer to media.
- Error marking the media full at end of media.
- ArchiveManager error marking chunk closed in the database.
- Failure to update restart string.
- Failed to update media information in the database.
- Error writing chunk header to NAS attached tape.
- Error enabling hardware encryption on NAS attached tape drive.
- Error mounting media in NAS attached tape drive.
- NDMP Server [<File Server>] was unable to back up path. It is likely this path does not exist.
- Unexpected NDMP error communicating with client [<File Server>].
- Unexpected NDMP error communicating with tape server [<File Server>].
- NDMP connection to host [<File Server>] failed. Verify if NDMP can be reached on this host.
- Could not position tape. Error returned [<File Server Error String>].
- <File Server>: tape server halted with internal error.
- Tape server halted with INTERNAL_ERROR and may not have received any data for the timeout period. Backup may be retried with NDMP_API DWORD additional setting nREADSOCKETTIMEOUT set to a larger value, in seconds.
- NDMP Server is reporting a write error: [NDMP_MOVER_HALT_MEDIA_ERROR].
- NDMP Server is reporting a write error: [NDMP_MOVER_PAUSE_MEDIA_ERROR].
- Received data halt with internal error. See nasBackup.log for problem details.
- Error updating the new chunk information in the database.
- Error write file mark to NAS attached media.
- Error sending backup file information to indexing.
- When using snapmirror-to-tape, a full volume must be backed up. Backup Path is not a full volume.
- NDMP authentication failed.
- Failed to start the NRS process on remote host [MediaAgent]
Last modified: 7/6/2018 6:48:16 PM