Configuration - Documentum iDataAgent (SQL)
The Documentum iDataAgent uses two components to facilitate backups:
- An Instance, which defines the Documentum Repository to be backed up. As soon as you install the agent, you need to manually create an instance using the procedure outlined in Create an Instance before you run the first backup operation.
- A Default Subclient, which is automatically created after configuring an Instance and contains all the objects of the instance, such as:
- SQL Server database at Documentum instance level
- Storage Areas
- Full-text Indexes (optional)
Before running backups, ensure that the Storage Policy is configured on the subclient and for Full-Text Indexes, if available, Quiesce/Unquiesce scripts are provided. Use the procedure outlined in Configure a Subclient to edit the contents of the default subclient or create a new one. See the Advanced configuration for a list of possible reasons to create subclients.
Note: In a single server setup, install both the Documentum agent and the SQL agent on the same client computer.
Create an Instance
Before You Begin
Configure the SQL Server instance and subclient, and then associate a storage policy to it.
This section describes how to create an instance for the Documentum iDataAgent in order to perform backup and recovery operations.
- From the CommCell Browser, locate the correct client computer node.
- Right-click the agent node for which you want the new instance created, click All Tasks, and then click Create New Instance.
- Add the following information in the General tab:
- Enter the name (up to 32 characters) for the instance in Docbase Name.
- Click Change in User Account box and specify the Documentum Install Owner User Name and Password.
- Type the Repository installation path in the DOCUMENTUM Path box or use Browse to locate the path.
- Type the Repository shared path in the DOCUMENTUM_SHARED Path box or use Browse to locate the path.
- Click Discover. The Docbase name and User Name and Password will be validated. If successful, the instance is created and the Docbase Version and Docbase ID are automatically populated.
- Click the Database tab and add the following information:
- From the Client list, select the client computer on which the SQL database resides.
- In the Instance box, type the name of the SQL instance.
- In the Database box, type the name of the SQL database.
- Click the Storage Area and FTI tab and add the following information:
- In Storage Area Details, select a file store that was discovered and click Edit. In the Edit Operation dialog box, select the Client name from the list.
- If a Full-text Index component is present, in FTI Details, select the full-text index name that was discovered and click Edit. In the Edit Operation dialog box, select the Client name from the list and type the FTI Path.
- Click the Encryption tab to select the data encryption options for the selected content. This setting applies only to third-party Command Line operations.
By default None is selected.
- Click Media Only (MediaAgent Side) to transmit backup data without encryption and then encrypt prior to storage. During restore data is decrypted by the client.
- Click Network and Media (Agent Side) to encrypt data before transmission and data is stored encrypted on the media. During restore data is decrypted by the client.
- Click Network Only (Agent Encrypts, MediaAgent Decrypts) to encrypt data during transmission and then decrypted prior to storage on the media. During restore data is encrypted by the MediaAgent and then decrypted by the client.
Click OK to save the instance.
Configure a Subclient
The following procedure describes the steps involved in configuring a subclient. This procedure may be used to configure the default subclient, as well as to create any additional subclients. Refer to Planning Your Backups for more information.
- From the CommCell Browser:
- Navigate to Client Computers | <Client> | Documentum| <Instance>.
- Right-click the default subclient and click Properties.
- From the Full Text Index tab, you can:
- Exclude backing up the FTI for this subclient by deselecting Backup FTI.
- Select a FTI and click Edit to change the client computer or the path in which it resides.
- If applicable, click Add to add a new FTI.
- Change the name or path of the Quiesce or Unquiesce script.
- From the Storage Area tab, you can:
- Select an SA and click Edit to change the client computer in which it resides.
- If applicable, click Add to add a new SA.
- Optional: Specify scripts for Pre Backup Process and Post Backup Process.
- From the Storage Device tab, click the Data Storage Policy tab and specify a storage policy for the subclient.
From the Storage Device tab, click the Streams tab and specify streams for Database, Logs, and Storage Area. Click OK to save the subclient.
Last modified: 3/1/2018 7:55:09 PM