Application-Aware Backup Process
The backup performs the following actions:
- During the VSA backup, the application-aware workflow performs the following actions:
- Discovers virtual machines that are running an application that is protected by application-aware backups.
- Pushes an application plug-in into the guest virtual machine.
The application plug-in is installed with the first application-aware backup and is used for any subsequent backups of the VM.
For virtual machines running SQL Server to support SharePoint, application plug-ins for SQL Server are installed.
- Creates an application client automatically.
For existing application clients, the workflow modifies settings as described in Reconfiguration for VMs That Already Use Application Agents.
- Uses the application plug-in to initiate the application backup.
- When the application backup is initiated, the application plug-in performs an application-consistent software snap backup.
- After the application backup creates the VSS snapshot, the VSA proxy completes the VSA backup.
- The application plug-in indexes the backup data and catalogs the data to support granular restores.
The application plug-in performs the following actions:
- Quiesces the application state to disk before the VM backup.
- Indexes application data after the VM backup.
Note: If an application database is already configured to be backed up by an application agent, it will not be backed up using the application-aware VM group.
Last modified: 5/17/2019 7:28:22 PM